When choosing cutlery for a home or business it is important to understand that knives come in various lengths and styles, and that they are all made to accomplish a specific job. Therefore, to choose the right knife you must first know its intended purpose. Once you know that, you can then move on to choosing the aesthetic that is right for you. The following knives can be purchased online from wholesale restaurant supplies and equipment.
Here is a list of the basic knives that are a necessity in all commercial or home kitchens.
- Boning knives have a medium length blade that is sturdy and narrow to make removing meat from the bone an easy job.
- Bread knives have a long serrated blade to prevent smashing and tearing delicate loafs.
- Butcher knives are used to process meats.
- Carving knives are designed for slicing thin cuts of meat. They have a scalloped blade, which helps to slice and separate cuts of meat.
- Chef knives are utilitarian; use them for chopping, dicing, and mincing a variety of foods.
- Cleavers are similar to the butcher’s knife; however, they are lighter and have a thinner blade for precision cutting.
- Filleting knives have a very sharp, narrow, flexible blade. They are used to cut fish away from the bone.
- Paring knives have a short, pointed blade. Use them to peel the skins or rinds from fruits and vegetables, and to remove pits and seeds.
Other knives that will help round out your collection include:
- Vegetable knives are designed specifically for cutting or chopping vegetables with ease.
- Fruit knives have a short, serrated blade and a distinctive handle. They are used at the table for paring fruit, and separating citrus sections from the membrane.
- Oyster or clam knives have a blunt, short tipped blade and a grip with an attached hand guard.
- Spreaders are small, short knives with a dull blade and an offset handle. Use them to spread condiments such as butter, jams, and pates.
- Steak knives have a sturdy, serrated blade. They enable diners to cut various meats or vegetables into bite size pieces.
Cutlery can be purchased in individual pieces or in sets. Most personal chef’s and home cooks find that a set of kitchen knives is a convenient choice, because they typically include at least five basic knives, a sharpener, and come prepackaged in a protective carrying case or block. If choosing individual pieces, it is advisable to purchase a separate block, or magnetic holder to avoid marring the blades. To help prevent personal injury, always keep knives sharpened, never chop on an uneven surface, avoid using the sharp side of the blade to scoop up chopped or minced foods, and always slice meats away from you. Some quality knife brands to consider are F. Dick Cutlery, WINCO, Paderno, and Franklin Machine Products.